Calamondins fruit is also known as citrus mitis, as it is acidic in nature. This fruit was first grown in China and later it found its way to U. S. A where it was acquired the name “acid orange” as it resembles an orange. It is orange in color and slightly smaller than the normal oranges thus can be easily confused with a tangerine. This fruit thrives well in cold climates unlike other citrus fruits. The plant adds aesthetic value when planted as it is planted as a hedge or patio plant more other than because of the edible fruit. It thrives well when planted in containers or tub as a flower. This fruit is also draught resistant than other citrus species do. However, for it to grow well and bear fruits, it requires bright light with slow release fertilizer added to it especially at the beginning of spring as that is its season to produce.
Health benefits of Calamondin fruit
Apart from the aesthetic value of the calamondin tree, the acidic fruit brings about health benefits to individuals. The fruit is used in making spices, added flavor in fish and cakes, in making of beverages such as tea, used as a preservative and making of marmalades. It is also essential for soap and shampoo making. Here are the benefits brought about by this fruit;
- Alleviates allergies– Eating the fruit or expressing its juice and drinking it helps in alleviating allergies especially those associated with itching, rashes and swelling on the skin. In addition, if applied on the skin after insect sting or bites it stops the formation of the reaction on the skin immediately.
- Acne cure
- Clears respiratory issues– The fruit helps in curing of common colds, flu and eliminating fever. It is also a good natural remedy for preventing asthmatic attacks. The fruit is effective for soothing coughs especially those induced by exposure to allergens.
- Anti-inflammatory properties- The fruit has anti-inflammatory properties that helps in reducing the pain caused by arthritis.
- Eliminates constipation– When taken in form of fruit juice or beverage soon after the meals, it enhances digestion hence eliminating constipation.
- The fruit boosts immune system.
- Skin and hair care- The fruit is used in making soaps that helps in enhancing the health of the skin, keeping it smooth and moisturized. When used as a shampoo, the fruit facilitates the growth of the hair while enriching the scalp. The juice from the fruit can be added in the showering water or in the body oil for a healthy skin and hair.
- The fruit strengthens the bones and joints hence best for children and elderly.
Nutritional value of Calamondin
The fruit contains the following nutrients;
- Vitamins A & C
- Very little fat amounts
How to eat calamondin fruit
This fruit can be eaten as a fruit just like the way an orange or tangerine is eaten. In addition, it can be added into hot water to make tea or added on the fish and cakes as a flavor. It can also be consumed inform of marmalade.
It is important to remember that calamondins fruit is highly perishable and does not last long after ripening. Therefore, it should be harvested when half-ripe and stored in the cold room.