What is elderflower?
Elderflower is the flower of a tree. The elderflower is commonly used in medicines and as an flavoring property in dishes and beverages.
Different Types of Elderflower
Elderberry is an amazing plant with tons of medicinal benefits. Elderberry grows worldwide and there are more than 2 dozen identified species :Some species include;
- Sambucus nigra – Black Elder/European elder/Elderberry
- Sambucus mexicana – Mexican Elder Sambucus racemosa –
- European Red Elder Sambucus australasica –
- Yellow Elder Sambucus adnata – Asian Dwarf Elder
Health Benefits of Elderflower
Elderflower is popular in traditional and alternative treatment worldwide. Elderflower contains antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, diuretic with laxative properties.
Elderflower helps boost the immune system and relieves swelling and pain. Elderflower is commonly used for colds and flues and we’ll discuss this more in this article.
- swine flu
- Joint pain
- sinuses (sinusitis)
- influenza (flu)
Elderflower Tea For Cold
Elderflower Tea has long been used for colds. In fact, in the 1930s renowned botanist and herbalist Maude Grieve noted elderberry as a “good old-fashioned remedy for colds and throat trouble”.
Elderberry teas has long been used to treat influenza and as a remedy for asthma.
How to Prepare Elderflower Tea
Put 2-5gramsof dried flowers into a cup of boiling water
Leave to boil for 5 to 10 minutes, then strain the mixture.
- Drink at least 3 cups a day.
- Best taken hot when going to bed. A refreshing sleep will follow and the cold will probably be gone in36 hours.
- Yarrow or peppermint may also be added for effectiveness
- Don’t use in excessive amounts
- Some parts of the plants may induce nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Cooking should remove this though.
- Not enough information is known about use usage of the flower while pregnant or breast feeding. Best to avoid.
IF you’re diabetic elderflower, might lower your blood sugar levels. If you are already taking medication it might make your blood sugar levels goo too low. Be sure to monitor your blood sugar levels carefully.