Cochin goraka fruit originated from India having spread to the parts of the south Asia in areas such as Malaysia, Burma and Thailand. This fruit has also become popular in Florida and Australia. This tree is not only grown because of the fruits it bears but it has aesthetic value when planted in the compound. The tree is normally small but blossoms with shiny green leaves that make the compound beautiful. This is a perennial tree as it produces fruits twice within a year. It thrives well in sub-tropical and tropical climatic conditions and when planted in the soil that is well drained. During the dry spells, the tree can be watered to produce fruits. Though the fruit resembles the mangosteen fruit which is sweet, this fruit is sour and acidic. The fruits are usually green in color but turns into orange color once ripe. The shape of the fruit looks like a pumpkin. The fruit has a big seed in the center while its cover is tough.
Nutritional composition of goraka fruit
Goraka fruit has several nutrients that bring about health benefits in the body. They include;
- Hydroxycitric acid
- Vitamin C
Health benefits of the fruit
The fruit produced by the goraka tree has the following health benefits in the body;
- Treats obesity– This fruit is a natural remedy for obesity. The hydroxycitric acid in it helps in breaking in burning down the fats in the body system leading to weight reduction. Also, the same acid helps in suppressing the pangs of hunger hence reducing the uptake of food that leads to massive weight gain. The fact that this fruit does not contain sugar or calories, when consumed it does not result to weight gain.
- Reduces cholesterol– the hydroxycitric acid reduces the cholesterol levels in the body. This is why the fruit should be taken soon after the major meals. This makes the fruit a home and natural remedy for treatment of hypertension and other cholesterol related conditions in the body.
- Diabetes– The fruit produced by the goraka tree is essential in home management and control of blood sugar. The fruit does not contain glucose hence ideal for lowering the blood sugar thus when combined with proper diet replaces the over the counter medicine for diabetes.
- Digestion related issues– This fruit is best for digestion related issues such as constipation and bowel problems. This is made possible by the presence of fiber and water in the fruit that enhances digestion.
- Cancer– The fruit is a good source of antioxidants that blocks the multiplication and spreading of the cancer cells. The fruits works for colon, prostate and breast cancer.
- Anti-inflammatory properties- The fruit has some anti-inflammatory properties that helps in preventing inflammatory diseases.
Storage of the fruit
Unlike other fruits, goraka fruit is not highly perishable when ripe. This is because it can stay fresh for about three weeks when stored in the room temperature. It can also be refrigerated where it gets an additional three weeks of shelf life. When the juice is extracted, it can be frozen as it does not lose its nutrients.