Lung problems or respiratory diseases are common amongst people of all ages. These kinds of diseases do not make people of a specific age group their victim. Patients mostly resolve to science based medicines and treatment methods but these methods are known for causing various side effects such as excessive sleepiness, drowsiness, fatigue etc. Due to these disturbing side effects, more and more people are trying herbal remedies for lung diseases as they show side effects very rarely. Some herbs may cause allergic reactions but they are rarely severe. In case of experiencing any allergic reactions after using them, do consult a doctor.
Cough is one of the most common lung diseases which affect people of all ages. Its severity varies but cough is very uncomfortable and is a result of the lungs trying to clear the mucus from the breathing passages. Cough is caused due to many reasons such as:
- Common cold leads to cough.
- Cough is one of the symptoms of viral or seasonal flu.
- Pneumonia causes severe cough.
- Cough is commonly a reaction to any kind of allergy.
- Bronchitis is one of the major reasons of causing cough.
- Asthmatic patients experience cough fits.
- Sinusitis also leads to cough sometimes.
- Infections and bacteria in the respiratory system cause cough as well.
There are many herbs and essential oils that people use as a cure for their cough problem. Mullein is one of the most commonly used herb for treating respiratory system diseases.
Using Mullein to Cure Cough
Method 1: Mullein Tea
Mullein tea helps soothe cough as is helps to bring up the phlegm. Most people us the following herbal remedy to heal their cough attacks:
- Combine dried mullein leaves with dried sage in a cup.
- Boil a cup of water and pour it over the herbs.
- Steep it in hot water for half an hour.
- Strain the tea and drink it regularly.
Method 2: Mullein Infusion
To make herbal tea of Mullein, you would need dried up Mullein leaves.
- Set 2 teaspoons of dried Mullein leaves in a cup.
- Boil 1 cup of water and pour it in the cup, over the dried Mullein leaves.
- Steep for 15 minutes and then filter the tea to remove the Mullein leaves.
You may add a small amount of honey to the tea as users often describe the taste of Mullein as unpleasant like ‘hay’. The honey will help to sweeten the drink.
This herbal tea will help soothe your breathing difficulty and clear the congestion in your chest.
Mullein tea just doesn’t help with chest problems but also helps to cure many other diseases such as lung related problems, diarrhea, migraines and headaches and bronchial inflammation. Mullein is also mashed and applied on wounds as it helps to keep bacteria away and soothe the wound.
People who have used this herb have appreciated it and a high percentage of Mullein users approved it as an effective herb.