The Nopales benefits the body in different ways. These fruits are produced in the cactus plant. This fruit is eaten as a vegetable that is popular in parts of U.S and Europe because of its health benefits in the body. This stem of the cactus is oval and flat in shape whose tender pads commonly known as napalitis are best for making cuisine. This plant originated from Mexico. Just like other species of cactus, the nopales thrives best in the semi-arid and in regions with dry climate. The plant can be planted though it grows naturally in the semi-arid areas. They are evergreen plants that produce pads like stems that replace the leaves. The fruits are produced during the spring and they are pear shaped known as prickly pear. The fruit is juicy and sweet with their taste resembling a combination of strawberry and watermelon. The fact that the fruits are tasty makes them highly edible even without adding anything else.
Nutrients present in nopales fruit
This fruit is rich in the following nutrients;
- Low calories content
- Minerals- The fruits are rich in calcium, magnesium, iron and potassium
- Vitamin A
- B- complex- thiamin, niacin, Vitamin B6 and riboflavin.
- Vitamin C
- Flavonoid compounds
Nopales benefits to the body
Nopales benefits the health of the body when eaten as a fruit. They include;
- Inflammation– The fruits have anti-inflammatory properties that helps in preventing inflammatory related diseased in different parts of the body. This is facilitated by the production of ethanol.
- Diabetes- The fruit is known for its efficiency in treatment of diabetes. When taken after meals the fruit leads to significant reduction of blood sugar. This is essential for prevention and treatment of diabetes type 2.
- Reduced cholesterol– taking of nopales fruits leads to a drop in cholesterol levels in the blood. This is good news for those struggling with increased cholesterol levels. It is advisable to take the fruit after meals in order to prevent cholesterol levels from increasing.
- Weight loss– This fruit is essential for those on weight loss programs as it helps in reducing the weight brought about by sugars. This is because of its properties in reducing the glucose levels.
- Healing of ulcers– The fruit contains mucilage that protects the abdominal lining from corrosive digestive acids that leads to ulcers. This helps in treatment and prevention of gastric ulcers.
- Enhances metabolism– The presence of the B-complex group of vitamins in the fruits helps in enhancing the metabolic system.
- Relieves constipation– The fibers in the fruit helps in stimulating digestion hence preventing occurrence of constipation while relieving it.
- The juice helps in boosting immune system.
How to take the nopales fruits
This type of fruit can be consumed in different way that depends largely on the creativity of an individual. In order to gain the nopales benefits for a healthy body, the fruit can be taken in the following ways.
- As a vegetable in the meals
- Eaten as a raw fruit
- The juice of the fruit is usually extracted and taken alone or added into hot water to make a beverage.