The rambutan health benefits are many and essential for the body. Rabutan fruit has its origin in Malaysia and Indonesia. This fruit is also widely grown in Southern region of China and Philippines. The fruit is produced from a perennial tree that bears the fruits twice within the year. In the southern hemisphere, this fruit is harvest in the period between February and September with the highest production being experienced in may-August. The fruit is oval in shape with long, soft, red and green spikes on the cover. This fruit is unique for it comes in different colors such as yellow, pink, orange and red with a single seed in the center. The fruit is palatable since it is sweet, juicy and crispy to eat. The fruit tree thrives well in tropical climate and clay loam soil with a PH of not below 5 and not above 6.5.
Nutrient contents of rambutan fruit
Rambutan health benefits are brought about by the nutrients present in the fruits. The nutrient composition of the fruit includes;
- Minerals- the fruit contains potassium, sodium, iron, calcium and magnesium
- Vitamin B-complex- It provides thiamine and riboflavin
- Vitamin C
- Glucose- It is rich in fructose and sucrose
- Acids- it contains considerable levels of citric and malic acid
- Fatty acids- The fruit contain stearic, arachidic, ericosenoic, palmitic and oleic acids.
Rambutan Health Benefits
The health benefits of rambutan fruit includes;
- Energy boost- Due to presence of glucose, protein and carbohydrates in the fruit, when consumed it leads to a boost in the energy level in the body.
- Quenches thirst- In case the water is not available this fruit is a good replacement as it has high contents of water. This helps in rehydrating the body.
- Boosts blood levels- Rambutan boosts the blood levels due to high levels of iron in the fruit. This helps in preventing and controlling anemia, fatigue and dizziness that are illnesses related to low iron levels.
- Weight loss- The fruit is a good natural remedy for weight loss due to high fiber and water contents. In this case, the combination of the fiber and water reduces the pangs of hunger hence reducing food intake. The low calories levels in the fruits prevent farther weight gain. This leads to desired weight loss.
- Relief diarrhea and fever- The fruit has therapeutic properties especially in killing of the disease causing pathogens especially those causing digestive tract infections. Due to these properties, the fruit is a great natural remedy for diarrhea and fever.
- Hair treatment- This fruit is useful in hair care when smashed into a solution that is later applied on the scalp. This helps in keeping the hair healthy, dandruff free and healthy and shiny.
How to eat rambutan fruit
This fruit can be eaten raw just like any other fruit. It can also be smashed to make salad or extracting the juice and mixing it with hot water to make a beverage.
In order to tap from the rambutan health benefits, it is important to consume the fruit when it is fresh. This fruit can be stored in a refrigerator while wrapped with a perforated plastic bag in which it remains fresh for about one week. Alternatively, the fruit can be stored in room temperature for not more than three days.