Safou fruit also commonly known as dacryodes edulis has its origin in Northern parts of Africa. The tree was first grown in areas such as Nigeria, Angola, Congo, Zaire, Gabon and Cameroon. The tree thrives perfectly well in forested regions with humid and tropical climate. It also gets adapted well regardless of the variations of climate and soil. Today, this evergreen tree is being grown in Malaysia and Uganda in Eastern part of Africa. The tree produces the flowers during the rainy season with the fruits beginning to develop between two to five months after the flowering. This tree produces fruits that are violet in color and are long and oval in shape. In some regions, this fruit is referred to as the butter fruit as it is creamy with butter like flavor on the edible parts.
Nutrients content of Safou fruit
The safou fruit contains several nutrients that make it essential for restoration of health and wellness in the body. They include;
- Fatty acids
- Amino acids
- Minerals –magnesium, potassium, phosphorus and calcium.
Health benefits of the fruit
The fruit from safou tree has great health benefits in the body. They include;
- Skin care– The fruit is best for skin care. When eaten regularly the fruits lead to healthy skin. The butter from the fruit can be applied on the skin to eliminate acne.
- Elimination of dysentery– The fruit helps in stopping and eliminating episodes of dysentery. In this case, the fruit should be boiled in salted water then eaten in considerable amounts.
- Treatment of cancer- This fruit is a good natural remedy for the treatment of cancer. This is made possible by the anti-oxidants present in it that blocks the development and spreading of cancerous cells in the body.
- Replacement for food substances– This fruit is a good replacement for food substances. This is because it contains high levels of energy, proteins, minerals, fatty acids and vitamins that are essential in sustaining the body when exposed to starvation.
- Enhances brain health– This fruit is a natural remedy that enhances brain health. This is made possible by the presence of magnesium that boosts the functions of the nerves.
- Treatment of hypertension– The fruit contains potassium which is essential for controlling blood pressure and other cardiovascular related issues through regulation of water uptake in and release from the body cells and the blood. This helps in lowering the blood pressure.
- Prevention of constipation- The fibers in the fruit helps in preventing and eliminating constipation. The fibers enhance digestion of food substances when the fruit is eaten soon after meals.
How to eat the fruit
This fruit can be eaten either raw or cooked. If it is to be eaten cooked, the fruit can either be boiled in salted water to taste. It can also be roasted. This makes the fruit to have a texture that resembles butter. The safou fruit is added into the rice and tomatoes to provide a balanced diet especially in places where vegetables are not readily available.