The tamarinho fruit has many health benefits in the body. The fruit is produced by the tree whose origin is traced in India and Southern Sudan in Africa. The tree thrives well in semiarid tropical climate hence growing in parts of America and Mexico. The tree also grows well in areas with high rainfall that is seasonal as they do in humid areas. It is important to note that the tree when young should not be exposed to frost as this destroys the tree. However, once the tree is mature, it becomes resistant to brief exposure to frost. When grown in the areas with cool coastal climate, the tree matures and flowers but it does not produce fruits. The tree is large in nature hence requiring enough space for its growth. It grows slowly while maintaining its green leaves all through. The fruits produced by this tree are brown in color, long and oval in shape. The pod-like fruits are palatable when raw or cooked.
Nutritional value of tamarinho fruit
The tamarinho fruit contains the following nutrients;
- Minerals- The fruit is rich in calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium and iron.
- Vitamins- The fruit contains vitamin K, E, A and C
- B-complex compounds- This includes riboflavin, thiamine, pyridoxine
Health benefits of tamarinho fruit
Consuming tamarinho fruits bring about many health benefits in the body. Here are the specific health benefits;
- Prevents constipation– The dietary fibers present in the fruits enhances digestion hence preventing constipation.
- Enhances bowel movement– The pods of the fruit are good homemade laxative that slows down the bowels bringing about a relief. In addition, taking of about two table spoonful of the pulp especially at bedtime helps in enhancing bowel movement.
- Treats anemia related illnesses– This fruit is essential as a natural treatment of anemia related illnesses such as fainting and dizziness. This is made possible by the presence of iron and folate in the fruit that helps in boosting the blood level.
- Cure sore throat– When the fruit pulp is added into warm water and gargled, it helps in relieving sore throat. Its disinfecting properties help in getting rid of the disease causing organisms such as bacteria present in the throat.
- Anti-allergy– The fruit acts on the skin stopping inflammation. This makes the fruit a good natural remedy for the skin after an insect bite or sting. It also protects the skin from inflammation after getting into contact with harmful plants’ sap and spikes.
- Pregnancy related issues– The fruit is a natural remedy for morning sickness during pregnancy characterized by nausea and vomiting. The fruit is safe on the developing baby in the womb.
- Gingivitis– The fruit helps in relieving gingivitis by smashing the fruit into a paste that is later applied on the gum.
- Reduces cholesterol– The fruit helps in reducing cholesterol levels in the blood hence best for control of hypertension and cardiovascular issues triggered by high cholesterol.
The tamarinho fruit has a hard pod-like skin that makes it possible for the fruit to last for a considerable period of time in the room temperature.