Tiger nuts health benefits are numerous due to its nutritional value. This nut plant has its origin in the continents that are along the Western Hemisphere such as Africa, Asia and Southern Europe. This plant grows naturally in the wilderness or planted on farms. This makes it to be considered as a weed in some regions.
This plant thrives well in areas with low temperatures and low nitrogen levels. In order to have complete flowering process the plant requires shadows. The tubers bearing the nuts may appear beneath the soil or on the surface. However, the plan survives in draught and flooding environments. They produce numerous nuts when planted in sandy and moist soil. Saline soils inhibit their growth and production of tubers.
Preparation for consumption
The nut grass is harvested mostly in the month of October. The fact that they grow beneath in the soil, they need to be washed after harvesting to get rid of the soil. The nuts are hard hence they need to be soaked in water to soften before eating. They are consumed in the following ways;
- The nuts are eaten raw as they are sweet with milky flavor.
- They are pounded to form fine floor and then roasted. The roasted floor is mixed with milk and consumed.
- The nuts are also made into floor and roasted to make biscuits.
- They are added into ice-cream for a sweet flavor.
- Oil is extracted from these nuts and used for frying food stuffs.
The nuts are rich in vital nutrients for a healthy body. The contain the following nutrients;
- Vitamin E and C
- Fatty acids
- Dietary fiber
- Tiger nuts health benefits
- Tiger nuts health benefits include;
Essential for strengthening bones
The nuts help in building of the bones and strengthening them. This makes the nuts good for young children, aging and people ailing from brittle bone disease. This is due to the high contents of calcium.
Regular consumption of the nuts accelerates repair process of damaged body tissues. This is made possible by the minerals present in them.
- The nuts enhance digestion due to high content of water and dietary fiber present. These help in clearing the digestive system hence preventing constipation.
- Prevention of urinary tract issues
- The nuts increase urination frequency hence preventing hernia, cysts, prostate and issues in the rectum.
- Cardiovascular problems
When consumed regularly, the nuts facilitate blood circulation due to high content of minerals hence preventing heart and blood pressure issues.
The nuts enhance fertility in both male and female due to presence of vitamin E.
These nuts are hard in texture containing considerable amount of water. In order to preserve them, they should be dried completely. The water lost during drying process is regained when they are soaked overnight before using them. When dried, the tiger nuts health benefits are not minimized.